What is NREGA or MNREGA?
NREGA or the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural EmploymentGuarantee Act or The National Rural Employment Guarantee Act of 2005 is an Indian social security act or labour law which aims at improving the livelihood of those who are unemployed by providing them with the right to work. Under this act, the government guarantees to provide at least 100 days of stipend work in a business year to all the households in the rural areas whose adult members volunteer to do unskilled manual labour work.
Don’t forget to check out IAY ( Indira Awaas Yojana ) for updates on Housing schemes by the government.
The applicants will get employment within 5 km of their houses and they will be paid minimum wages. Inability to provide them work within 15 days will get them the entitlement to unemployment allowances.
NREGA also aims at building durable assets like roads, wells and ponds etc. This act also does not involve the association of contractors in any kind of work, the Gram Panchayats are involved mainly.
How to Apply for NREGA Job Card?
Follow the series of steps given below to apply for NREGA Job Card.
- Job card applications are submitted offline and not on any online portal.
- The people who wish to register themselves for the NREGA job card applications have to visit any local gram panchayat in their area between 10 am to 5 pm on working days and request the officials for their registration.
- Registration can be done through a written application, orally or by submitting a print out of the duly filled application form available on the official webpage.
- Carry your documents like ration card, pan card, Aadhar card, voter ID card or any other if you have positively
- details required to be filled in the form include
- name of the member volunteering
- fathers name
- mothers name
- state, district, block gram panchayat in area
- photograph etc
- The registration number will be provided to you by the authorities when you go for your registration.
Once the application is submitted, applicants will receive their NREGA job card within 15 days from the gram panchayat office.
Also Check SSPMIS Pension Status 2020
HOW TO CHECK JOB CARD LIST OF YOUR AREA EASILY ONLINE-
The Mahatma Gandhi national rural employment guarantee act provides work to the unemployed and willing people of the rural households for at least 100 days in a financial year. So after applying for the job card, people who need to check their job card in the list given online can follow these simple steps to do so-
- Visit the official website of NREGA here.
- Scroll down on the homepage and look for the link saying ‘job card’ under the REPORTS section.
- Click on the job card link and a list of states will appear on the screen.
- Select the state of which you are a resident from the list.
- A gram panchayat module page will open wherein you need to fill in the details asked – year, district, block and panchayat.
- A list will appear on the screen with job card numbers and names in front of them, you can check your name on the right side to ensure that your job card is accepted.
- The following colours are symbolic to the points mentioned with them-
- Green: Job Card With Photograph And Employment availed
- Grey: Job Card With Photograph and no Employment availed
- Mustard: Job Card Without Photograph and Employment availed
- Red: Job Card Without Photograph and no Employment availed
8. You can also check the job lists from the links given below-
Feature of Mahatma Gandhi national rural employment guarantee act
- It was launched on 2nd February 2006 and is still in force.
- It aims at enhancing the lives of rural households by providing 100 days of wage work to willing people for a financial year.
- The act provides these people with jobs within 5 KMs from their houses and also a minimum amount of wages.
- It was enacted by the parliament of India and was introduced by RAGHUVANSH RAI SINGH, Ministry Of Rural Development.
- Apart from providing work and durable assets, NREGA can help the development of the country in many aspects like women empowerment, protection of the environment, improving social equity etc.
- The official website of NREGA is enriched with all the related information from the birth till date- nrega.nic.in
For the transparent, effective and efficient working of the scheme the honourable minister of rural development launched this citizen centric mobile app JANMNREGA to ensure that the citizens are aware of all the information that they should.
Some features of the app are –
- About NREGA
- Background of the act
- Objectives of the act
- Involved Stakeholders
- 10 Entitlements
- Referring the act to friends and family
Frequently asked questions
Q1. What are the main objectives of the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act(MGNREGA)?
A. The core objectives of the MGNREGS are:
(a) Providing minimum 100 days of unskilled manual work to every household in rural areas resulting in creation of productive assets of prescribed quality and durability;
(b) Solidification of the livelihood of the poor
(c) Safeguarding social inclusion
(d) To Support Panchayati Raj Institutions
When was Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act passed by the Indian Parliament?
23rd August 2005.
Q3. Is there any difference between Nrega and Mgnrega?
The National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, 2005 changed the name of NREGA to MNREGA hence both of them are same and there’s no difference