Delhi University (SOL) and Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)are two universities operating in Delhi, India.
Delhi University SOL is a public centred collegiate university which was established in 1962 and started offering courses in a few years, whereas IGNOU is a university for distance learning founded to serve the disadvantaged sections by providing open education, it was established in 1985 and started offering admissions to students from 1987. DU SOL is a much older university than IGNOU but when we tend to compare the two, we do find some advantages and disadvantages that ought to be considered.
As we dig deeper, some points of comparison to be considered are :-
- DU is thought to be of great value when a student pursues his studies from the university, it is also 23 years older than IGNOU but IGNOU has a larger foot across the globe. It is known across the globe with a population of 4 million students.
- DU SOL offers only 2 courses to the students namely BA and B.COM whereas IGNOU offers a wide range of courses which are more than 200 in number.
- In DU SOL students are required to go for classes and exam centres assigned by the university to them. This is a major problem for students as sometimes they are assigned a location too far from their place of stay. Whereas when it comes to IGNOU, it provides you with the facility to choose the nearest location so that it’s easy for you to commute.
- DU SOL is a more commonly known place for students and has an easier education structure but IGNOU is a more student friendly place as it systematically carries out the checking of exam papers and provides the students with better results than DU SOL. IGNOU also gives additional internal marks for assignments.
- The DU SOL degree does not have same value as of the degree of DU when you want to study abroad. IGNOU is known worldwide in many commonwealth countries and others too.
- DU SOL lacks to give the students a spirit of competition, responsibility and punctuality whereas IGNOU tends to develop these qualities in students by making it compulsory to attend a specific number of classes for attendance and to submit all assignments before the commencement of exams. DU SOL doesn’t carry out these activities with seriousness.
- The study material provided by DU SOL is not up to the mark but IGNOU offers good study material.
- IGNOU also has the facility that allows students to visit their study centres to clear their doubts and queries if they have any. All the IGNOU study centres have a coordinator and other staff present within working hours.
- DU SOL conducts exams on an annual basis whereas IGNOU conducts semester wise exams which may result in a more strong learning of students and better evaluation of their knowledge.
- The fees of the two universities are nominal.
It can be sensed that IGNOU consists of a more effective and efficient management system than DU SOL. SO, when it’s time for the students to take decisions regarding taking admission in any of these universities, these points of comparison should prove to be of great help.